Awards season is officially upon us and here at Your Chic is Showing I will be recapping all of the hottest looks around. We start by recapping the top trends spotted on the Golden Globes red carpet and then I’ll count down my 3 Best and 3 Worst looks of the night!
I love the Golden Globes because it is mash-up of our favorite television and movie stars. It is not nearly as stuffy as the Academy Awards and is one of the red carpets where celebs can do formal with a twist.
Top Trends on the 2013 Golden Globes Red Carpet
1. 50 Shades of Red – Plenty of starlets representing both the big and small screen hit the red carpet in a shade of red. From poppy, to scarlet, to fire-engine, these women wore the color loudly and proudly. It was spotted on the likes of Claire Danes, Jennifer Garner, Jennifer Lawrence, Naomi Watts, Zooey Deschanel, Miranda Kerr and Marion Cotillard. Red – and its many derivatives – was everywhere this year!
2. White, White and White All Over. Stars like Anne Hathaway, Michelle Dockery, Hayden Panettiere, Heidi Klum and Lea Michele all rocked this angelic hue on the red carpet. Although our ladies red had a similar look and feel to their dresses, the girls in white brought a variety of styles to the red carpet – from mermaid, to slim fitting, to super sexy with sky-high slits to boot!
3. Long-Sleeved Lovelies. Some of my favorite looks on the red carpet came from ladies rocking long-sleeved dresses. Kate Hudson, Jennifer Lopez, Eva Longoria and Nicole Richie all embraced long-sleeves (and lace too!) on the red carpet. Their looks were all very elegant and edgy at the same time! Don’t believe me? Check out Eva’s leg, Kate’s cut out and J.Lo’s (do we still call her that?) flesh-toned material that reminded me of a certain Britney Spears VMA outfit. Ohh la la!
4. Spring has sprung. There was no shortage of spring on the red carpet on Sunday night. Stars like Halle Berry, Lucy Liu and Jessica Chastain embraced spring-like patterns and palettes. The prints were floral, the fabrics airy and the colors soft. In this dreary weather they were the perfect reminder that warmer weather and pretty clothes are just around the corner!
What other trends did you see? I also noticed flesh-toned dresses and LOTS of leg were huge on the red carpet.
Top 3 Style Stars
Now for the fun part. I won’t delay, I’ll get right to my top 3 style stars for the 2013 Golden Globes red carpet!
1. Kate Hudson – Can you say one hot momma?!?! She balanced out sleek with sexy in her black and gold Alexander McQueen dress with a beautiful neckline and sexy cut-out.
2. Jessica Alba – That coral color, those stunning jewels and the perfect fit made for a stunning Jessica Alba in Oscar de la Renta! A lot of starlets got it wrong on the red carpet, but Jessica got it oh, so right!
3. Eva Longoria – People either loved this look or hated it. I stand staunchly on the “Loved It” team. She rocked the heck out of the Emilio Pucci dress and stunned with beautiful lace and whole lotta leg!
Top 3 Style Duds
The following 3 looks, I was not so hot on!
1. Lucy Liu (pictured above) – I love Carolina Herrera but I hate everything about this dress. It left me, and a slew of my girlfriends, wondering why she chose to wear her grandmother’s curtains. Kelly Osbourne kept telling us we needed to see how stunning it was in person; but, I’d rather not. Two thumbs down.
2. Katherine McPhee – Katherine broke the cardinal rule in this Olivier Theyskens for Theory frock. She wore a plunging neckline and sky-high slit. Pick one or the other, not both. Not here. Not now. Not ever. And, for goodness sake, make sure your dress skims the floor on the red carpet. I’m not a fan of an ankle length dress at formal events (Kerry Washington, I’m looking at you too!).
3. Debra Messing – I love Debra Messing. I really, really do. But any time your dress (a Donna Karen no less!) leaves me and my girls ignoring your arrival because we can’t decide if you’re getting thick around the middle, preggers or just in a terribly unflattering dress it is time to pick a new ensemble!
Well fashionistas and fashionistos (is that even a word? It is now!), what do you think? Did I get it right? Or all the way wrong? You know the drill – weigh in below! Can’t WAIT to hear your thoughts!
One thought on “Red Carpet Recap: Golden Globes”
Comments are closed.