By Erika, Resident Fashionista
The holidays are quickly approaching and we can often times find ourselves in a bind about what to buy. Don’t worry, YCS is here to help! This holiday season we’re bringing you five picks for our holiday gift guide. The best part is, all of these items are locally made in Philadelphia or can be purchased in the Philadelphia-area. As a small business, I think it’s important to highlight other small and/or local businesses that are providing quality products to their clients and customers. In fact, with the exception of Monsoon, all businesses are local. I think that’s pretty cool, don’t you?
- For the sentimental friend, family member, or your mom grab hand-designed, hand-crafted holiday and greeting cards from A Happy Slappy Greeting and Veronica Marche Illustrations (pictured). These beautiful cards are as fun and unique as you and your loved ones are. I have personally purchased cards/designs from both companies (Veronica Marche Illustrations even did the YCS logo) and will personally vouch for the top-notch quality of the work. Veronica Marche’s cards are stylish and chic – two of my fave things! And A Happy Slappy Greeting cards are hand-made and just as fun and bubbly as the creator and owner, Aleea Slappy. You can’t go wrong giving these gorgeous cards this holiday season!
- Veronica Marche’ Illustrations can be purchased via her website and her ‘Fabulous Brown Girls’ holiday card series can be purchased at your local Home Goods, T.J. Maxx, and Marshall’s.
- You can get your own cards from A Happy Slappy Greeting Inc. by visiting their website.
- For the fabulous fashionista why not grab a beautiful bag or clutch from Nneka Saran (Cali & Revel – Limited Edition pictured above)? Nneka Saran, another friend to both YCS and my closet, creates beautiful, made-to-order clutches and other accessories (i.e. iPad cases, etc.). These bags, which have been featured in the pages of Essence Magazine and on stations like VH1 and TBS, are always a conversation piece. Whenever I carry one (which is often), I am constantly being stopped and asked about them. This is definitely a conversation piece that your favorite fashionista needs to have!
- You can purchase items from Nneka Saran’s website.
- For the Gladiator (aka Scandal fan) pick-up a bottle of red wine from Crossing Vineyards and Winery. Crossing Vineyards and Winery is a local Pennsylvania winery established in 2000. It is located about 45 minutes from Philadelphia in Washington Crossing, PA. They currently offer over 20 varieties of red, white, and specialty wines as well as vintage reserves. My personal favorites are the Wild Berry specialty wine and Chocolate Cherry Truffle dessert wine. However, at a wine tasting I had the opportunity to try 12 of their wines and I enjoyed most of them!
- You can order wine via their website or visit the Vineyard or their local store in Manayunk!
- Don’t forget to pick-up 23 oz. Camille Red Wine Glasses (pictured) from Crate and Barrel too! They’re just like the one’s Olivia uses!
- For your favorite guy you should definitely grab the Duke and Winston Top Hat Raglan sweatshirt. It’s no secret around here that I LOVE Duke and Winston apparel. I’ve featured their apparel on YCS, dressed YCS Donte in their apparel for the YCS Launch Party, and I regularly keep up with their latest offerings via their website and social media. This sweatshirt is perfect for your dad, brother, or boyfriend AND perfect for you to “borrow” from any of the men in your life. It’s the perfect mix of casual cool that we love about Duke and Winston.
- You can order the sweatshirt via the Duke and Winston website or check them out at their Philadelphia flagship store or at their Bryn Mawr pop-up shop through January 8, 2014.
- For the best dressed tots around look no further than Monsoon Children located in the King of Prussia Mall. If you know anything about me you know that I am obsessed with London (and the UK in general) and that I simply ADORE my niece and nephew. What better way to combine my favorite place and my favorite peeps than with the Monsoon Children’s line? As the auntie (or TT, as my niece and nephew say), I do not have to buy the children practical clothing. I buy them all of the smart, sequined, morning “suity,” over-the-top fashions I want because, well, I can. I’m in love with the cute clothes Monsoon offers for women and, more importantly, children!
- You can visit the Monsoon Children store in the King of Prussia Mall.
I hope that these awesome, local gifts will help make the holiday season just a little bit less stressful for you! You can, of course, also take advantage of our Gift Concierge and Wrapping services to take even more holiday stress off your plate!