By Erika, Resident Fashionista
On Monday May 6, the Metropolitan Museum of Art held its annual gala celebrating the museum’s spring exhibition and red carpet was truly the land where music, fashion, television and movie stars collide. The theme of this year’s exhibition is “PUNK: Chaos to Couture” and it provided the perfect opportunity for celebrities to spice up their usual red carpet regalia. So who were this years winners and losers? And who left us saying “meh?” Check out the list below!
This year’s crop of winners managed to bring an edgy vibe to their red carpet looks. They managed to find the balance between chaos and couture and come out positively stunning in the end. Some relied heavily on chaos and others on couture – but they all nailed it.
1. Rooney Mara (in Givenchy) – Perfect combo of edgy, cool, sophisticated and glamorous.
2, 3 & 4. Anne Hathaway (in Valentino), Miley Cyrus (in Marc Jacobs) & Nicole Richie (in Topshop) – They embraced the punk theme and got it right!
5. Psy – Truly a gentleman. I really enjoy this jacket!
6. Minka Kelly (in Carolina Herrera)
7. Taylor Swift (in J. Mendel)
8. Cara Delevingne (in Burberry)
Other winners: Katie Holmes, Blake Lively, Ashley Greene, Kate Beckinsdale and Kirsten Dunst
1. Beyonce (in Givenchy) – Let the record show, I think she’s done better in years past (specifically 2012) and I HATE those boots.
2 & 3. SJP (in Giles Deacon & Philip Treacy) & Jenifer Lawrence (in Dior) – Dear SJP, I get it, but I don’t.
4. Emma Watson (in Prabal Gurung) – Pretty? Yes. Punk? Not so much.
5. Kate Upton (in Diane Von Furstenberg)
6. Madonna (in Givenchy) – Didn’t we all expect this from Madge?
7. Jennifer Lopez (in Michael Kors) – I don’t hate this look. I actually think she looks great. But she’s done this before. And by “this” I mean a tight dress with a body part cut out and/or highlighted. Get out of your comfort zone!
(I will not include the name of the designers with these looks. Having them photographed for eternity is bad enough.)
1. Kim Kardashian – Anna finally let’s Kim into the gala and this is what she chooses?!?!? I’m not sure who dressed Kim P.K. (pre-Kanye) but she should bring them back. Love it or hate it, Kimmy used to have her finger on the pulse of fashion – a great mix of what’s practical, fashionable and edgy. Now, she’s wearing this. Personally, I want the old Kim back!
2. Katy Perry – I half expected something like this from Katy. But I still hate it. The nail art is dope, though!
3. Heidi Klum – Heidi is just one of the many celebs who I feel missed the “punk” memo.
4. Gwyneth Paltrow
5. Kerry Washington – I’m generally a member of the “Kerry can do no wrong” tribe. But I can’t find one thing I like about this Vera Wang ensemble. I’m sure gladiators everywhere are going to come after me.
6. Uma Thurman
7. Cameron Diaz – Right dress, wrong event. Cameron looks STUNNING! And, even though the belt helps give it an edgier vibe, I think this dress would be better served at the Emmys or Golden Globes. But let the record show – I adore this ensemble, just not for this event.
Alright ladies and gents – you know what to do. Weigh in below with your picks for the best and worst of the night! What say you?